Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Monday, May 1, 2006

PIETARI POSTI

Pietari Posti was born in Helsinki, Finland in the late 70´s. When other kids were asking him to play, he preferred to stay in and draw. Later they stopped asking. Nowadays he spends his days and nights illustrating both the traditional way, and by computer, and more often using both. Educated in Finland with a B.A. in Graphic Design. After school he worked as a graphic designer for a while before moving to Barcelona. In Barcelona Pietari began working as full time illustrator.


When did you first decide to become a graphic designer/ illustrator? Was there a pivotal moment?

I think the first pivotal moment was in 2001, when I applied to design school in the graphic design department, and I got in! In school I was already doing illustration work for some magazines and newspapers in Finland to earn extra money. Soon I noticed that I was starting to get more and more illustration jobs. In 2005 I moved to Spain to be with my girlfriend, who is from Barcelona. Here in Spain I've decided to concentrate on illustration only and have begun working as a full time illustrator. I think that decision was the second pivotal moment.


Who or what inspires you?

Probably a cliche answer, but everything in the surrounding world inspires me. People, art, graphic design, comics, nice packaging, I especially like the Japanese aesthetics. Their way of using paper and their way of using empty space, they are true masters in that, I think. I go through alot of art books and magazines and I follow alot of websites and portfolios on the Internet. Lately it has been really interesting to me to see that many illustrators and designers have started art blogs, where they share their process. I find it really interesting to notice how different or similar the process is with some artists.


Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?

Both. I got the basic education in design school, but it was mostly related to graphic design. However I think the same principals of composition and colour work in illustration as well. We didn't study alot of illustration techniques in school, so we had to be self active and interested to find the information and skills we needed to become illustrators. I've always loved to draw, so the training in drawing just comes by it self everyday when I grab my pencil and paper and draw because I feel like it.


How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?

Just keeping myself interested, challenging myself creatively. Also taking an interest in what other people are doing, learning from your own mistakes, and theirs. I think you have to be highly critical of yourself, all the time asking, "Why I'm doing it like this? And why I'm doing this at all?" Just giving a little something extra that nobody else has. It's constant searching and finding, the finding part is where I get my kicks. Another great idea is to take a break and
do something else creative, for example, try a different medium. It's all about finding your perspective again, because time to time you just lose it.


What are some of your current projects?

I just finished a really cool project for SEED magazine and now I'mstarting a project for a Finnish fashion mag about Barcelona.


Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?

Usually the latest project that I've completed. For instance, right now I like the illustrations I did for SEED magazine. Check my portfolio at http://www.pietariposti.com


Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?

I got my fathers old digital SLR camera and I'm really into the whole photography thing right now. I love the fact that with digital cameras you can experiment and try things endlessly and see the results right away.


Any advice to the novice designer/ illustrator?

Take advantage of the Internet to do a lots of research. Get contacts. Ask other illustrators for advice and create a website to showcase your work, you will need it. And of course just work hard!


What makes a designed piece or illustration successful?

The comprehension of the piece, it's like a blink of eye to the viewer. If it's smart and it makes you feel something, any kind of feeling good or bad.


What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?

By taking breaks. Changing up the medium. For example photography or doing some graphic design usually works for me. Having a social life apart from work helps too.


And finally, what is the best thing on prime-time TV right now?

Actually I don´t have a TV, Here in Barcelona everything is dubbed in Spanish or Catalan, I don´t even mind it. Thank God for DVD´s and movie theaters with subtitles! I´ve been following the Six Feet Under, Lost and Samurai Jack box sets.

Related Link :

http://www.pietariposti.com


Recent Work:







0 comments:

Post a Comment