Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Meditating on Global Shifts

Lately, I've been feeling off kilter. Cataclysmic events like the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and the revolutionary violence in countries like Libya have sent my mind into a bit of a spin. A short visit to my Facebook wall showed plenty of evidence that I'm in good company. And it's occurred to me that there's a little more to this feeling of imbalance than an emotional reaction to what's happening halfway across the world. Recent news reports tell us that the earth itself has been pushed off its axis.

According to geophysicists, the powerful quake appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet and shifted the position of the earth's axis about 6.5 inches. That means that the temblor's force moved parts of eastern Japan as much as 12 feet closer to North America. Experts also say that the event also should have caused Earth to rotate somewhat faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 microseconds, he said.

No wonder I feel like things are askew. I believe that everything in this world is intricately interconnected. So it makes sense that what's affecting the whole system would be bothering me on a microcosmic level. (MORE)

Source: Technorati

0 comments:

Post a Comment