Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Best Reason to Meditate

I grew up in England, where I attended a "public school," which confusingly is the English term for a private school. I dressed up every day in a black suit, wing collar, black tie and waistcoat. This was the bootcamp training for becoming an English gentleman. I was born into a way-above-average unhappy family, and I was much more interested in sorting out my emotional pain than in being trained to be an aristocrat.

One day I was walking beside Canterbury Cathedral (The King's School, Canterbury is the oldest school in England and lives within the cathedral precincts) when I spotted a man sitting cross-legged on the ground, chanting. He was a Hare Krishna monk. This was 1972, only a few years after The Beatles hooked up with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and then later George Harrison joined up with the Hare Krishna movement. I was intrigued. I waited timidly until he stopped chanting, and approached hesitantly.


"Excuse me, sir," I squeaked in my pre-pubescent English voice. "Do you speak any English?" I imagined he must be from Tibet, or a temple in Varunasi, India. (MORE)

Source: Huffington Post

0 comments:

Post a Comment