Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Friday, September 17, 2010

Real Men Do Yoga: The Growing Trend for Guys

When 77-year-old Casper Henselmann took his first yoga class 10 years ago, he was one of only two men of a certain age. "I remember the instructor telling me not to compare myself to the 20-year-old pretzel standing next to me," he recalled. But over the years the class, held at Chelsea Piers Sportscenter in New York City, has grown to attract at least a dozen regulars over 50. "I guess yoga is no longer associated with old ladies and sissies," said Henselmann.

That's for sure. Yoga studios all over the country are experiencing an influx of men who are past their prime. "Yoga's become so mainstream that a lot of older men know about its mind-body benefits, and they think, 'I should try that,'" said Andrea Marcum, owner of U Studio Yoga in Los Angeles. Just five years ago, she had a couple of guys over 40. Now her classes average 15 or more. "Many baby boomers know they're at a point when they can't take their health for granted anymore. Then they observe these incredibly fit contemporaries in a class and think: I'll have what they're having," she said. (MORE)

Source: thatsfit.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment