Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fresh Ideas: Meditation Can Improve Mental, Physical Health

Years ago friends and colleagues began to meditate. At the same time, in my professional journals and at conferences, I learned how psychologists were teaching meditation and mindfulness to their clients to help treat depression, anxiety and self-destructiveness.

I thought I should learn: seminars, retreats and several books later I declared myself a meditation-flunky. Nonetheless, I persevered for my clients, regularly suggesting they meditate and diligently teaching them mindfulness skills. It wasn't until I found myself in a long stretch of painful emotions that I finally realized I needed to practice what I preach.

Meditation has its origins in Eastern religions; it has been practiced for thousands of years. There are different forms, but, basically meditation involves sitting quietly, with your eyes closed, slowly repeating a phrase or prayer over and over. Or, simply focusing on your breath as it flows in and out.

Typically, people begin practicing meditation much like I did: Looking for more emotional balance, to cope with illness, or to enhance overall health and well-being. Some people are searching for how to feel “more present” or “awakened” in life. (MORE)

Source: Nevada Appeal

0 comments:

Post a Comment