Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Sunday, November 5, 2006

GINA KAMENTSKY



















I create kinetic sculptures which exist in the somewhat chaotic and messy real world and animated films for the screen where gravity is a bit less of a concern. My path leading to this follows some interesting twists and turns starting in Buffalo New York where I played punk rock
at night and during the day, slept under my office desk at Fisher Price with occasional breaks to design toys for infants and toddlers. Between then and now I've invented some fairly well known games and toys as an independent designer, created a giant clock which burns sticks of incense, built a series of robot sculptures on commission, created sculptural lighting for a roadhouse in Texas joined a motorcycle gang, designed a couple of logos and created several animated films including one about doughnuts having sex.


When did you first decide to become a graphic designer/illustrator? Was there a pivotal moment?


I've been drawing and making things back as long as I can remember. My dad's an inventor, mom is an art historian so there was lots of encouragement from my family. Two big memories, I realized I wanted to spend my life creating art and design, going to a Max Ernst retrospective at the Guggenheim when I was 13 and seeing a show of work by Ray and Charles Eames around the same time.


Who or what inspires you?

The list can be huge at times, I develop creative "crushes" , my current obsession is with a Russian Animator, Konstantin Bronzit, I saw his work at the Ottawa Animation Festival, his timing is so wonderful. I'm big on traveling, sitting around in coffee shops, observing people, drawing, writing things down. Some constant things on my list: Stuart Davis, Saul Steinberg, Rube Goldburg, anything by the Fleisher Brothers, my book of Collected Works of Buck Rogers by Dick Calkins, Yoko Ono, Paul Klee, James Brown, Hank Williams, George Herriman . I love gritty old industrial junkyards, cities where one can find surprising things. My partner Sam Smiley is an amazing editor and video artist, she has taught me so much.



Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?

Went to Philadelphia College of Art in the late 70s studied Industrial Design and Film Animation. My first and only job following college, working as a designer at Fisher Price Toys, I learned amazing amount of stuff, everything from how products are developed for a specific marketplace to how to build a vacuform mold for making a toy prototype.


How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?

I teach ( at Massachusetts College of Art ) one day a week, the energy from students keeps me on my toes, I go to lots of film festivals, constantly feed myself films, books, travel... anything where creative ideas can present themselves.


What are some of your current projects?

I'm working on my second film with actress Karyn Parsons, our company Sweet Blackberry produces animated stories for kids about inspiring African Americans. In the pipeline is "Garrett's Gift" the story of inventor , Garrett Morgan, he invented the stop signal and gas mask. Greg Christie is doing the illustration, I'm keeping my fingers crossed here; Queen Latifa is on board to do the narration.

I have two personal animated film projects going, "Bread and Butter" based on 100 different people repeating a phrase "Bread and Butter" and a series of short 30 second animations "Studio Monsters", deals with the frustrations and joys of being an independent artist.

I'm also looking forward to a show of my kinetic sculpture next year.


Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?

This is a tough one, I get tired of my work as soon as it's finished. "Chicken Limbo" a game I invented for Hasbro Games /Milton Bradley, sold zillions of pieces all over the world, it was my biggest success, I guess I'm most proud of the little things which emerge from my studio.. when I get a good laugh coming up with something unusual. My web site pixeltoon.com is the best source to see my work.


Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field > that you have yet to try?

I would like to combine my interest in kinetic sculpture with film, create motorized sculpture, film it in real time and combine with animation. I'm also interested in building sculpture with video monitors and animation integrated with the piece. I'm mostly interested these days in developing my sense of timing in films.


Any advice to the novice designer/ illustrator?

Be super passionate, work hard, take breaks, repeat.


What makes a designed piece or illustration successful?

I respond to work, my own or the work of others which elevates my understanding of what art and design can be. I believe that there's a big mass of ideas, images, words, we all experience it and all draw from it. Occasionally, someone puts these things together in a new way which shifts one's thinking... it gives a boost up to a new level and we continue from there.


What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?

Ride motorcycles, I have a Triumph Bonneville and get out when I can... it's good therapy. I'm at a point in my life where I recognize my cycles of production and frustration.. try and see it coming and go out, do something nice for myself.


And finally, what is the best thing on prime-time TV right now?

I don't have cable and my reception is lousy, I spend my TV time on the internet reading blogs and watching You Tube!



Related Links:

http://www.pixeltoon.com/

http://www.pixeltoon.com/blog/

0 comments:

Post a Comment