Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Monday, July 24, 2006

TIEL SEIVL


Wow, time is of the essence here. I have amazingly two children asleep this afternoon and any minute they could wake. My synopsis is short and sweet...a bit like me.

I am currently a mum who craves the creative outlet. I sneak into my studio at any given moment of the day to work or create or look and be inspired. I am a freelance designer doing small work for people who want logos, basic websites etc. What I love doing is illustration. Since having children I have started a new side of my company called ABCmes. Personalised Artwork for Children. My background is in Fine arts(printmaking) and teaching design and art. My website is www.tsktsk.com.au
you will be able to find me at tsktsk.typepad.com...after I nut out a few technical issues!


When did you first decide to become a graphic designer/ illustrator? Was there a pivotal moment?

About 1992 when I was half way through completing my BA in Fine Arts degree. I realised that I had chosen the wrong course. I was surrounded by people who just wanted to paint, it just wasn’t enough form me. I chose a computer graphics subject, and WOW this is what I want to do. However, I finished my BA and I am glad to say that majoring in printmaking has given me real, hands on skills that I use in my graphic design when I can. I love combining the organic with new technology.


Who or what inspires you?

At the moment, those who have become successful from their artistic and creative talents. I could surf the internet daily and be impressed with someone. A few at the moment are, Ali Edwards, Maria Carluccio, Donna Ingemanson. And of course my children, who remind me everyday that I must not lose my creative urge to make or design something.


Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?

I completed a university degree. Believe it or not I fell into teaching at University and TAFE levels and taught myself so much by teaching the students. I loved coming up with projects for them, because it made me do them too. I train up when I can on small courses and diplomas that are relevant to my interests.


How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?

Work. Explore. Buy beautiful books and magazines. I would love to do more. I don’t go to art galleries enough.


What are some of your current projects?

Personalised ABCme artwork for children. I love making them and get a buzz every time I receive an order. Basically, you tell me the name of the child, select from the images I have created, choose a colour scheme and I render and personalise everyone. I have also been designing some logos and branding imagery for various companies, from software products to children’s products. Had fun making one for tumbleweed kids.


Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?

The ABCme artwork I guess. I have 2 kids under 4 and started the artwork for children 2 years ago. Visit www.tsktsk.com.au. I have many ideas in my head...just not enough time. Tumbleweed Kids. Loved designing the logos. Visit www.tumbleweedkids.com.au


Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?

Felting...next Wed I begin. Would love to update my computer skills and have a mentor.
Oh yes, textile design. I love crossing media.


Any advice to the novice designer/ illustrator?

Be inspired by what others do. Be honest with what you do.


What makes a designed piece or illustration successful?

Good use of design elements, such as colour, space, texture etc. I could write all day on this...


What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?

Do something creative other than what I am doing. I often quilt, sew, scrapbook, animate. So long as I am making something. My ideas often cross over from one medium to another.

And finally, what is the best thing on prime-time TV right now?

Spicks and Specks. (ABC TV Australia. Music Quiz Show) It is about the only show I watch.


Related Links:

www.tsktsk.com.au

tsktsk.typepad.com


Recent Work:





0 comments:

Post a Comment