Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Tuesday, April 4, 2006

HOLLY DEWOLF




















I'm Holly DeWolf and I am an illustrator. I create "handmade experiences" in gouache, ink and collage. My daughter tells me that I make pretty pictures. I say I am a visual problem solver in paint. Both descriptions are fine with me. I grew up on a tiny, picturesque island in New Brunswick. To survive county life I developed a huge imagination. This helped fuel my creativity and maintain sanity. Now I live Ontario and life is pretty sweet and happy!



When did you first decide to become a designer/illustrator? Was there a pivotal moment?


Absolutely! I was artistic at birth really. In grade three I was asked to paint some murals on the walls by myself, legally! Just like that I realized I was going to be an artist and not a doctor. I was lucky to have great art programs in my schools. My jr. high art teacher told me, helped by his one furrowed eyebrow, that I needed to stop goofing around, that my art education was serious! By the time I was in grade ten I was already researching art schools to attend. I knew it was my ticket to an un-boring and fulfilling life. Conventional 9 to 5 is just not me.


Who or what inspires you?

Wow! I could be here all day. My paint brushes are a big one. I love how they look and the craft it took to make them. Plus they hold such potential for future work. I have a huge book collection and I could pour over them all day and fill my brain with ideas. I love illustrators like
Lane Smith. His work is quirky and quite fun. Vacations by the ocean can really refresh a tired brain. Music is a big one. Plus I try to be creative in all I do whether it is cooking or decorating my home. You can never add enough flair to your space.


Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/art school?

My early academic years established a very good foundation. I then attended NSCAD University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I spent a very creative, exhausting and very expensive five years there. Just thinking about it makes me want coffee! I initially took Visual Communications, which was great because I learned layout, type, Mac-speak, and printing. I
also studied photography. I loved the process of splashing chemicals to get that photo. But it was not what I wanted to do. I then took a class on Making Visual and Verbal Narratives and I was hooked on the idea of illustration. In my last two semesters I focused on illustration and then
"it" fell into place. After graduating I spent a while researching and learning all I could about the business of illustration. What is great is I am still learning. The creative possibilities are never ending.


How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?

I never stop learning and changing. I am always looking, reading, collecting snippets here and there. Another way I keep fresh is to have an "Idea Journal". I throw in tidbits of quotes, clippings, ideas, random thoughts and promotional ideas. It is invaluable when it comes to new
projects and assignments. I keep up regularly with what the industry is doing. Having other creative outlets helps too. It is amazing how that can seep into my illustration work. Believing that there is no "box" keeps my mind open to all possibilities. Lastly, I learn from my mistakes. Failure can be a good thing.


What are some of your current projects?

My daughter keeps me very busy plus I have another baby on the way and I help keep my husband focused while creating visuals for the world to ponder. Oh, and I am launching my own greeting card line and working towards selling prints of my work. A new promotional project is on the horizon. I am working on promotional visuals for a Lodge in Port Dover, Ontario. And I am contributing work to an up and coming book. Then I will take a nap.


Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?

I am proud of all of my work because of the work it takes to not only conceive but the have the final outcome be what the client wanted. I'll have to twist this a bit and tell you my favourite tidbit. It was when I brought a piece to the late Halifax designer, Lou Cable, and he complimented me by saying that he "could not afford my work". That was so nice of him. Well once I fit my head through the door on the way out I fired back some wicked Peruvian blend to celebrate.


Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, and projects in your field that you have yet to try?

I would love to illustrate work for packaging. Getting my work into a children's book would be fantastic. Also doing some Pro Bono work for charities that I believe in.


Any advice to the novice designer/illustrator?

The advice I give myself daily, an internal pep talk if you will, is to trust myself and enjoy the process. I don't recommend comparing yourself to other illustrators or designers. See them as inspiration and motivation. Don't try to create in a bubble. Find a supportive community to help you get started or to just bounce ideas off of. There are many very talented people out here who love what they do and love talking about it. Distinguish yourself in an original way. Put a twist on what you do. And, as Woody Allen stated, "90 percent of success is just showing up."

What makes a designed piece or illustration successful?

The client will let you know. That doesn't mean it is easy. Getting it finished on time while creating a kick ass piece helps too. I feel believing in your work is another way. If all else fails, reject their reality and substitute your own.


What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?

I am motivated by my 3 year old. She is inspiration and a wonderful distraction when I need to take a break. Knowing when to step away is critical. I know there will be off days where nothing is going to happen and nothing seems to work. I'll take advantage of these days to recharge.
Escaping in a good book or music helps. Also exercise is a quick way to lift my spirits and energize me on those hectic days. If all else fails I just stay quiet!

I also keep in mind that I am building a career. I craft a weekly plan of what I will do. Plans change and things come up so I try to get the bulk of it done. Every month I evaluate what I am doing to see if I am staying on track and what isn't working I lose, post haste.


And finally, what is the best thing on prime TV right now?

Gilmore Girls. I really love the endless banter and how the characters can hold their own. I am also a sucker for the classics like Frasier, Cheers and M.A.S.H. Sometimes I don't want to see negative stuff and I just want to tune in to humorous dialogue after a long day.



Related links:

Holly DeWolf Illustration- http://www.sweethappy.ca
Creative Blend Blog- http://creativeblend.blogspot.com







0 comments:

Post a Comment