Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo
Gallery Tattoo
Tattoo

Tuesday, October 4, 2005

DEVON BENDER


Is this thing on? *ahem* HI! I'm a 27 year old graphic designer from Erie, PA. I'm an in-house designer for a small company that deals with the outdoor industry. I've bounced around more agencies than I care to mention and I spend my crazy nights trying to figure out Metallica songs on my piano so I can impress my fiancé. My two cats are my life and I amuse myself by chopping their fur off. I travel on weekends to be with my future husband. I have an obsession with Totino's pizza rolls, Sour Altoids, and the color lime green. If you want to send me something lime green, or a picture of something lime green, please contact me and I'll give you my mailing address. I'm afraid of spiders. I am NOT afraid of cockroaches.


When did you first decide to become a graphic designer/illustrator? Was there a pivotal moment?

I actually decided .... wait I didn't decide!! I accidently took an Intro to Graphic Design course and was hooked ever since. It seemed like it would pay better than doing ceramics. I was so wrong.


Who or what inspires you?

Mmm...... my friends. My incredibly talented design friends, seeing really good work, and ideas that have never been executed. FRESH is the key.


Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?

I went to Edinboro University of PA, and got my four year degree. Funny though, my internship taught me more than any formal course did. Even though the designer who worked there probably wanted to kill me. I was a bit "inquisitive." Aka "annoying." I owe him though.


How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?

I TRY to keep up with industry trends. I've never really been TOO trendy. I like to march to the beat of my own damn self. Plus, it's expensive to be trendy. The HOW conference was pretty amazing. I've met so many contacts and friends through that experience.


What are some of your current projects?

Weeeellll. I guess I've been obsessing over wedding invitations.... after all, I only have a YEAR to design them! OH. also, the HOWIEZINE is going to be due in a month. I believe the theme is "lost and found"... this could get interesting.

http://www.howiezine.com/


Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?

I've really been interested in letterpress lately. I need to just bite the bullet and use my resources to try to get into it.


Any advice to the novice designer/ illustrator?

DON'T give up. If you're any good, persistence is the key to success.


What makes a designed piece or illustration successful?

When it evokes something. A feeling, a memory, a thought, a smell......


What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?

What I WILL be doing is getting more sleep. ALWAYS have a goal. When you have nothing to push for, you end up stagnant. Stuck in a life rut.


And finally, what is the best thing on prime-time TV right now?

I don't have cable.... (which proves to be extremely effective in getting stuff done around the house) but I enjoy, "So You Think You Can Dance!" Craig and I love us some Desperate Housewives though. We never miss it. JUICY!


Recent Work:



0 comments:

Post a Comment